Occasionally, there are incidents in our parking lot which provoke concern about the safety and security of our students and their family members. We would like, therefore, to let you all know again, about the norms of behaviour in the parking lot, norms which we use to endeavour to keep everyone safe.
As you know pedestrians (children and adults), are in close proximity to vehicles which are moving in and out of parking spaces. Pedestrians are vulnerable, and children, because of their size and levels of activity, are more vulnerable than adults. Here at Tall Pines School, we take very seriously our commitment to ensuring the safety of our students, and to that end, we require that all adults driving vehicles on our property to adhere to our safety guidelines.
To avoid conflicts, we are reminding everyone to adhere to the following guidelines:
1. Large vehicles, such as SUV’s, vans and pickup trucks MUST be vigilant, avoid reversing where possible, and when possible, park in the south part of the lot adjacent to the Gym.
2. Designated parking areas are for those specified on the signs.
3. Whenever you and your children are walking to the school entrance, where possible, please use the pedestrian pathways, marked with cross hatching.
4. Families with older children, grades 4 and up, should use the Kiss and Ride student pickup and drop off service, using the driveway around the building, instead of parking in the lot.
5. Children are not permitted to be in the parking lot unescorted by an adult. Unaccompanied children are to remain in the school until an authorized adult comes to collect them.
6. Children must be under your direct supervision while in the parking lot. Holding hands is a great idea. Please do not get into distracting conversations with friends – free range children are not safe in the parking area.
7. When walking, please endeavour to make eye contact with the drivers of vehicles that are moving, or are about to move. This way, you are sure that they see you.
8. CELL PHONES are NOT to be used while your car is in motion. Should we see drivers using cell phones, they will be reported using Road Watch.
9. NEVER leave a small child in your vehicle, unattended. As a school, it is our due diligence to report incidents of this nature to the authorities.
10. Please DRIVE SLOWLY and be aware of your surroundings at all times.
11. Kiss & Ride Gate is open from 8:25 a.m. - 8:50 a.m. for drop off and is open from 3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. for pick up.
New EYP Drop Off/Pick Up Procedures for Casa 1, 2, 3 and Casa 4 and 5
Casa 1, 2 and 3 drop off is in the back playground; the parking gate opens at 8:25 a.m. and closes at 8:50 a.m. with the drop off time at the playground gate starting at 8:30 a.m.
Parents are to use the ‘Kiss and Ride’ along the back. You need to bring your child to the playground gate and say a quick goodbye and then proceed back to your car.
If you are dropping off a child in Grade 1 to 8, you join the ‘Kiss and Ride’ line or park in the front and walk your older child into the building.
If you arrive after 8:50 a.m., you must park at the front, walk into the front office, sign out a key fob, then walk through to the playground and then return the key fob before exiting the building.
There will be a system in place for notification in the chance the teachers are not outside for the morning drop off. A red flag will be placed near the front gate so parents know that the children are to be picked up in the classrooms. On such days, parents are to park in the front parking lot and walk their child into the school, saying their farewells at the classroom door.
Casa 1, 2 and 3 pick up is at the front playground at 3:45 p.m. Parents are to park in the front parking lot and pick up their child at the gate. If there is inclement weather, the pick up will be at the classroom door. Any child not picked up in time will be signed into Extended Care, which will incur an extra cost.
Procedures for Casa 4 and 5 are the same as for Casa 1, 2 and 3 except: Casa 4 and 5 drop off is at the front playground and pick up is from the back playground.
We thank you for your patience with this new procedure, and we thank everyone for ensuring that all of our children remain safe and secure while entering or existing the school.
Jan Zaharchuk, Principal